Case Study #2 - Innovation Training
INNOVATION TRAINING: FORTUNE 500 PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANY
Turquoise was hired by the head of the Planning and Innovation: Applied Technology division of international pharmaceutical company to work with their newly formed Horizon 3 team. We were asked to create a workshop to introduce innovation processes and help guide the team to define the 2018 agenda for the organization. With the majority of the senior participants coming from computer science backgrounds we started with an Innovation + Design Thinking 101 session to give participants a framework from which to come up with new ideas that had not yet been considered. After an ideation session which generated many new ideas, we delivered a session on value propositions, business model innovation, and business model growth mapping to help the participants select the ideas that were most likely to lead to profitable products and services. The session ended with a North Star Discovery exercise.
With our facilitator hats on we helped the team to explore the following:
- How should Horizon 3 be defined going forward?
- Where do you feel you can contribute most significantly in shaping the Horizon 3 agenda?
- How do you create a culture of creativity?
- What corporate structures are often in place that block innovation?
- What are the institutional barriers to change?
- What kills innovation/innovative ideas within companies?
Knowing we were presenting to a group of professionals where innovation and creative thinking were not part of their professional training, we shared a resource list of videos and books to support further learning. Below is a short list.
- Where Good Ideas Come From: The Natural History of Innovation by Steven Johnson
- Creative Confidence: Unleashing The Creative Potential Within Us All by Tom Kelley and David Kelley