WHAT I DO
Shana Leading a workshop at A/D/O, BMW Group's design space.
I design custom workshops for a variety of clients on topics which include leadership, innovation, startup enterprise building, strategy and business development. Some of the conferences I’ve been asked to design workshops for include HarvardxDesign, The Harvard Social Enterprise Conference, The Social Good Summit, Adobe’s 99U, The Happy Startup School and A Better World By Design. A short list of my clients includes: 92Y, LMHQ, BMW Group, Consulate of The Netherlands, and Google.
MINDFUL LEADERSHIP TRAINING FOR NEW INC
We’ve all felt the effects of both good and bad leadership. Good leadership is the singular ingredient to having individuals and teams thrive. Bad leadership causes conflict, resentment, low morale, and people to leave their jobs. Effectively leading a company or a team is less about “tips and tricks” and more about emotional intelligence and intuition. A mindful leader is one who is self-aware of their strengths, weaknesses, fears, vulnerabilities, where they get triggered, what makes them angry, the origin of their insecurities, how their failures have affected them, and what they need in place to lead powerfully.
In July of 2017, I was hired by the director of NEW INC, an incubator launched by The New Museum in New York, to deliver a keynote and workshop on Mindful Leadership for their first annual retreat. As a believer of the power of experiential learning, after the talk I engaged 100 participants in an exercise called Wise Crowds. By the end of the 90 minute exercise, everyone left having identified their greatest leadership challenge and steps to overcome their most significant obstacles. I also led a 60 minute improv workshop I call “It’s Killing Me To Work With You.” Designed to help entrepreneurs productively deal with workplace conflict, this workshop took a humorous approach to classic office personalities – the know-it-all, the alpha wo/man, the interruptor, the rambler, the passive-aggressive, the classic asshole, and more.
I asked participants to engage critically with important questions like:
- Who do you have to be in order to become a mindful leader?
- How do you deal with colleagues who are clearly causing tension to the detriment of everyone else?
- What type of training and interpersonal work does a mindful leader need to do in order to lead, inspire and build a company with positive social and environmental impact?
WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING:
• NYU EdTech Accelerator: Time Management + Goal Setting 11/2017
• Techstars IoT Program: Leadership Training for Tech Entrepreneurs 10/2017
• Ladies Get Paid: Leadership Bootcamp 9/2017
• New Inc: Mindful Leadership 8/2017
• LMHQ: Your Future Self, Career Transition Workshop for Women 6/2017
• A/D/O (BMW Group): Navigating The New York City Design Ecosystem 5/2017
• 99U Conference: Designer to Founder: Rapid Ideation 5/2016
• HarvardxDesign Conference: 30 Weeks: Fail Fast 2/2016
• General Assembly: Bootstrapping Your First Year 2014 - 2015
• Social Good Summit (UN Foundation/92Y): How to Build a First-Class Social Venture 9/2014
• SVA’s Impact Design for Social Change: Resources for Startup Changemakers 9/2014
• A Better World By Design: Superhero No More: Changemaking - A New Paradigm 9/2014
• Harvard’s Social Enterprise Conference: How Long Is Your Financial Runway? 2/2014
• SVA’s Impact Design for Social Change: Funding and Social Good Business Models 8/2013
• Harvard Business School’s Social Enterprise Conference: Root Causes 2/2013